Saturday, April 24, 2010

Hair





I am often told how lucky I am to have thick hair that is naturally straight. It doesn't get frizzy and I never have to worry about humid days when it comes to my hair. People think that I do not have to work very hard to get my hair to look beautiful. They could not be more wrong. There is a great deal of maintenance that goes into keeping my hair looking decent. Every morning when I wake up, my hair just hangs like dead weight on the sides of my head. I have to brush the hundreds of knots that have formed in my hair overnight before anything can be done with it. Using a straightner is usually necessary even though my hair is naturally straight. The straightner gives my hair a smooth shine that lasts all day. Sometimes I can wet my hair and blow dry it with a hair dryer to give it some volume. This whole routine may not sound too bad, but it is only part of the necessary hair maintenance. Every 5-6 weeks, I need to go to the hair salon to keep up with my hairstyle and my side bangs at a manageable length. When I cannot make it to the salon, my hair starts to cause problems. My bangs are usually the main culprit. After I run the straightner through my hair countless times, the ends do a very strange flip up. I end up feeling very frustrated and use a small hair clip to get them out of my face.
After my hair to finally look nice, it does not last very long. I have oily hair (the fact that I play with my hair and brush it numerous times a day does not help it) and it needs to be washed twice a day. Only certain shampoos can successfully clean my hair. In the end, after all the hours worth of maintenance and money spent, I can get my hair to look soft and beautiful like everyone sees.

Vocabulary:

humid (adjective)- Containing by a high amount of water or water vapor
maintenance (noun)- act of upholding something
necessary (noun)- essential
manageable (adjective)- can be controlled
culprit (noun)- one who is guilty or responsible for an offense
numerous (adjective)- great quantity

Use the appropriate vocabulary word to complete the sentences:

1. The police arrested the _________ of the armed robbery at the bank.
2. Food, water, and shelter are ______________ for survival.
3. The spoiled child received ___________ presents for her birthday.
4. People spend a great deal of time and money on the ____________ or upkeep of their hair.
5. The Fourth of July was a very hot and ____________ day last year.
6. The students were able to relax because their teacher gave them a _____________ amount of homework.

Grammar Point:

Write a paragraph using adjectives to describe your hair.


1 comment: